Monday, October 1, 2012

Hazards of cooking "Winter Chicken" in the Fall

I have learned that it is possible to simultaneously melt your eyelashes and burn your armpit at the same time:/ This is why Rachel Ray has a production team and isn't snapping photo's herself while cooking...offender? Winter Chicken Bake:

post baby weight loss, losing weight after baby, diet recipes
picture not cooperating...sorry about the necessary head tilt:/

It looks harmless enough, but do not be fooled- cooking out of season has consequences!

Recipe: In a lightly greased baking dish layer-
1 peeled/sliced med apple
1/2 sliced sweet onion
3 sliced carrots

Original recipe called for basting 3 large chicken breasts with 2 TBS sugar free barbecue sauce- which FYI Target does not carry (my last minute shopping trip choice) so I substituted a rub and this was a winner:
post baby weight loss, losing weight after baby, diet recipes

Top with 1 chopped up cooked sweet potato (cut in half, pierce and microwave for 10 minutes then peel and chop) and 1 C cranberries (again I struck out at Target on these and bought dried thinking they would "plump up"- negative....these got crunchy so might be personal choice on this one. I still ate them so not sure what that says..
post baby weight loss, losing weight after baby, diet recipes

Overall I thought this was pretty good, though the top was a little dryer than I would like- I would almost slice the sweet potato and throw them and the cranberries (if using dried) underneath too and leave the chicken on top by itself next time.

In other news.... My teen daughter Alyssa started The 24 Day Challenge today! So excited for her journey, will keep you posted!


I am off the charts "cooking challenged" where do you stand?

No comments:

Post a Comment