Friday, July 26, 2013

All Season Legs; A Sparkedmom Recipe for a Healthy Family

Forget groundhog day, yesterday was one of those days that felt like an entire week wrapped up in a day- really not sure if that was a good thing or bad, still reeling!

Actually cooked something pretty to share, I think it would be classified as more of a "winter" dish, but since I don't actually know the rules I can't really be expected to follow them- right? Winter dishes to me means I cooked them when it was winter outside, which I'm in AZ so really, WHEN is that- December? It was stormy yesterday- maybe that counts for something..hopefully no one starts keeping track of my culinary missteps, although THAT could get entertaining- I digress..

Let me preface by admitting I pretty much just throw stuff together- this Momma's on the fly 99.9% of the time so I usually use what I have on hand and season to taste...that being said here's the closest I can get to a recipe for this dish so you can make for your healthy family:)

a healthy family, child nutrition, child nutrition program, family and nutrition, family nutrition, healthy family, kids nutrition, nutrition for families, nutrition for kids,
All Season Legs
What I Used:
1 package drumsticks (usually I do remove the skin but time and patience to do so was not permitting yesterday)
Seasoning; salt/pepper/Mrs Dash Onion/Mrs Dash Garlic- to taste
Vegi Mix of the day; zucchini, tomatoes, garlic, red onion

What I Did:
Salt and pepper my legs and browned over medium heat until brown on all sides. Chopped all my vegie's chunky-like while the legs were browning. Once the legs are browned to my liking, I seasoned with my on hand assortment of Mrs. Dash, tossed in the vegie mix, covered pan and cooed for 15 min or until chicken juices run clear. (if you want crispier legs you can also broil the pan in the oven until the outside crisp up a bit as well)

I don't cook drumsticks near as much as I should considering when it comes to kids and nutrition they kick a chicken nugget out of the park ALL DAY. Leftovers make easy lunches the next day, and they are so versatile, portable, portion controlled, easy to eat- note to self...more leg!

What's your favorite thing about legs?


No comments:

Post a Comment