Monday, August 12, 2013

Turkey Taco Rice- A Healthy Family Recipe by Sparkedmom

DISCLAIMER...so this post was supposed to go out last week before I left town for the weekend...as you can see THAT didn't happen, but the recipe is one of my faves so here goes....

Was totally stoked to procrastinate my school shopping until after the first day of school cause both my older kids are in Highschool now- winning! Reality sunk in by day 3 as I was headed to yet another store to get ONE more "required" item- yeah, OVER-it. On the brighter side it was shoe shopping today, so you know how that goes- somewhere along the lines of " meet you over there in a few..." fell in love with a beautiful pair of Lulu Townsends...not my size...not my day:/ I nursed my broken heart with a $5 bowl of cut fruit with pinapple, blueberries, and strawberries from Fry's- still want the shoes, I may have a problem.

These nightly after work shopping trips are really putting the time crunch on dinner and I was a green light away form pulling in to In-N-Out- their protein style is awesome but those fries can do a girl in- plus I'm on a cleanse right now so gotta stay strong! Luckily I had planned ahead a little earlier and had everything on hand for Turkey Taco Rice- winning again!
healthy dinners for kids, Healthy family dinner recipe, nutritious dinners for kids, quick nutritious dinners


What I Used:
Homemade Taco Seasoning:
1 TBS Chili Seasoning
1/2 tsp Paprika
1/4 tsp Mrs Dash Garlic and Herb
1/4 tsp Onion Powder
1/4 tsp Dried Oregano
1 tsp Sea Salt
1 tsp Ground Pepper
- I generally keep this on hand cause its WAY less sodium and more flavorful than the packets:)

1 lb ground turkey
1 can of black beans- rinsed
1 pouch of frozen brown rice (cooked)

What I Did:
Brown Turkey, add 3/4 cup water to seasoning (you may want to experiment with the amount of seasoning for heat/flavor- we use the whole  mixture from above but it is a bit on the spicier side for the kiddos so maybe half it and go from there). Add rinsed beans and rice till mixed well with seasoning and serve. If you want to get fancy you can dollop some Greek yogurt on top and sliced avacodo- or you can wrap it all up in a tortilla, or serve with chips- so versatile- freezes beautifully (IF you have any left) and the whole family loves it! Don't get hung up on the beans either, if you have pinto, white, kidney ect just use what you have- when you are making health a priority, don't let yourself get hung on small details like bean color- yes there is a difference but personally if I get too obsessed about those things it becomes overwhelming and the drive through gets really attractive- have grace on yourself- Lord knows I'm no chef...and that's okay. Besides, some of the best of these were discovered by grabbing whatever I had on hand and making it work- story of my life!

How many cans of beans are in your pantry right now? Me, 4- all pinto- must have been on sale!



No comments:

Post a Comment